The post, as originally conceived, would have discussed the following facts:
1) From Hong Kong, we took the MTR (subway) out to Tung Chung on Lantau Island. It's the largest island of the Hong Kong islands. It's a strange place because most of it is very beautiful plush green forested areas. Except for the ones where Disneyland and the massive airport are.
6) Took the bus back down to Tung Chung, which was a really windy and neat ride around a very green island.
And then I would have finished with some prattle about how strange it is to have this ancient Buddha statue on top of this dramatic setting, but then the very modern MTR, cable car ride and fake village making the trip very convenient, but still feel out of place in this serene area that's been otherwise untouched for many many years.
Nice post, right? Throw in some pictures, and we've got ourselves a good post about an experience that we did that's quite unique to Hong Kong. Except this past weekend, I was talking to some friends about the Buddha, and got to the part about the "ancient Buddha statue" and they look at me like I'm on drugs. Apparently, it was built in frikkin' 1993. Frakkin' hell. I thought it was just
Turns out that the monastery is about 100 years old, but the Buddha is brand spankin' new. Whatever. Stupid tourist trap.
No comments:
Post a Comment